Welcome to Bundle Bumps.
This blog is my personal chronicle of trying to conceive a bun in the oven through having a bundle of joy. Problem is, I'm fighting infertility.

August 19, 2012

My Fertility Concoction

If you remember, I promised to post ALL the supplements I am currently taking to enhance my fertility and this is that post.  I still can't believe how many pills I swallow daily to give my body these essential compounds.  And trust me, it is not easy.  If you know how nasty multivitamins taste then you know my pain.  I tried gummy prenatals, and loved them, but didn't buy another bottle when I learned they lacked a lot of other vital nutrients.  Maybe I will try them in combination with other vitamins sometime soon.  For now, I'm just popping pills.

And the lineup...


Clomiphene Citrate (aka Clomid) 
This drug is gold to me. It is designed to induce ovulation in women.  It is taken cycle days 5 through 9, one pill per day.  I ovulate on my own, but I have low progesterone in my luteal phase.  Clomid gives a boost to the hormones all cycle long which causes progesterone to be higher in the luteal phase.  It works for me.

Evening Primrose Oil
I take this horse pill 3 times a day up to ovulation.  It is said to help make vaginal fluids much nicer for sperm to swim in.  Clomid is known to make fluids hostile to sperm, so this combats that.

Prenatal Vitamins
The one thing doctors want you to be taking when you first become pregnant.  I actually take a generic women's multivitamin, but it has the same exact nutrients in it.

B-100 Complex Vitamins
This supplement contains 100mg each of all the B vitamins.  I take the complex because the B vitamins work best when taken together.  B-6 is said to help balance hormones and aid a luteal phase defect.  I take 1 a day.

Guainefisin (aka Mucinex)
I take Mucinex around ovulation because it makes vaginal fluid easier for sperm to swim through and reach the egg.  Once again, I take this to combat the side effects of Clomid.  I take 1 pill twice a day.

Royal Jelly
Royal Jelly is what a queen bee will consume to become an egg producing powerhouse and provide offspring for the entire hive.  I have read that it improves egg quality in IVF patients.

I don't know why the Royal Jelly itself looks so orange in this picture.  It looks really gross!  It is actually a light yellow color in person [much like cloudy honey].  I take 1 teaspoon twice a day up to ovulation.  It is mixed with organic honey, so it is really very sweet.

Natural Progesterone Cream
I apply 1/2 teaspoon to my arms, legs, chest, neck, or stomach twice a day from ovulation to menses.  Even though the Clomid is supposed to boost my progesterone levels, I figure it can't hurt to supplement.  I feel my levels rise slowly after ovulation anyway, so this ensures my uterine lining is receiving the nutrients it needs to mature and prepare for baby.

There you have it.  I know something is doing it's job because last cycle I only experienced two days of spotting before menses [norm is 3-5].  Progress is great!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I will continue to hope and pray for a little miracle.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I defiantly need to start trying some of those!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...